Advance Queensland – Jobs now, jobs for the future
The Palaszczuk Government’s Advance Queensland initiative was officially launched by the Premier on 13 July 2015.
Advance Queensland is a comprehensive suite of programs based on international evidence of ‘what works’, designed to create the knowledge-based jobs of the future, drive entrepreneurship, create a vibrant start-up community, and build on our natural advantages.
It will help position the state as an attractive investment destination with a strong innovation and entrepreneurial culture.
In the 2015 State Budget, the Palaszczuk Government has committed $180 million for the Advance Queensland package, which will deliver jobs now, and create the jobs of the future.
The key elements of the policy are:
- a $50 million Advance Queensland Best and Brightest Fund, which will develop, attract and retain world-class talent—both scientific and entrepreneurial.
- a $46 million Advance Queensland Future Jobs Strategy, which will open the door to new industry/research collaborations, tackle the big innovation challenges, focus on translation, and deliver 10 year roadmaps for industries with global growth potential.
- a $76 million Business Investment Attraction package, which will encourage a new wave of Queensland startups, support proof-of-concept projects, and attract co-investment through the Business Development Fund.
- $8 million will be set aside to give us flexibility to respond as new opportunities arise, especially as we develop roadmaps with industry partners.
Advance Queensland Research Fellowships
The Premier announced the opening of the Advance Queensland Research Fellowships through the new $180 million Advance Queensland initiative at the opening of the Queensland Futures Summit in Brisbane on 5 August 2015.
The Advance Queensland Research Fellowships will provide $28.5 million to support emerging research leaders over the next three years.
Through these new Advance Queensland fellowships, we will regain some of the momentum we lost in research and innovation in recent years by investing in our top talent to keep the bright ideas, innovators and entrepreneurs in Queensland to benefit our economy.
The $28.5 million Advance Queensland Research Fellowships will provide the following grants:
- early-career fellowships — $180,000 over three years
- mid-career fellowships — $300,000 over three years.